Illinois Conducts Anonymous Online Survey To Better Understand Problem Gambling
March is Problem Gambling Awareness Month, and Illinois is conducting an anonymoussurvey to understand gambling addiction better.
Such a research hasn’t been carried out by Illinois in more than 20 years.
But with the 2019 gaming expansion bringing online sports betting, more slot machines and six new casinos (eventually), the state has contracted researchers to examine the issue. The study will be conducted through the Illinois Department of Human Services.
Calls to the state’s gambling disorder hotline have more than doubled since 2019.
The National Council on Problem Gaming (NCPG) estimates that about 2%-3% of Americans meet the criteria for problem gambling. About 40% of people who have a gambling problem started gambling before the age of 17.
However, given that we haven’t studied the issue in Illinois in more than 20 times, we are unsure of the accuracy of those numbers in the Prairie State. Finally, after the exam is finished, we’ll have a better understanding.
The IL research is a survey that focuses on people who frequently wager, whether they do so legally or not.
The subjects cover a wide range and include poaching and underground dogfight.
Whether or not you consider yourself a problem gambler, researchers want to hear from you if you’re a regular bettor.
Call & nbsp, 1 – 800-GAMBLER, or if you and someone you know have a gambling issue, and ask for assistance at 1-800-426-2537.
Tips to prevent playing issues
Here are some suggestions and tactics to help reduce difficulty playing in the interim:
- While it’s always nice to win, don’t assume that you will. Don & rsquo, never wager more than you can afford to lose. Always put yourself in a circumstance where losing one or more bets changes the course of your overall financial position.
- Address gaming as a form of entertainment: You are paying for an experience when you go to the movies or eat out at restaurants. Treating betting the same way is a helpful tip for managing trouble playing. Of course, there’s a possibility that you’ll leave the experience with more cash, but be prepared for the possibility that it won’t.
- Just because you’re on a hot streak doesn’t mean it will stay that way. Stop when you & rsquo are down, but also keep moving forward. A great way to gamble properly is to withdraw winnings while you’re away.
- Don & rsquo, don’t gamble while intoxicated: Obviously, this can result in poor and rash decision-making.
- Encourage friends and family to only gamble properly: You may already be aware of all of this, but you may know someone who isn’t. Seize the chance to control others and assist them in avoiding problem gambling.
It is beneficial to wager at regulated bookmakers.
Legal or illegal bookmakers both have the potential to cause problems when it comes to playing, but the former support and encourage responsible gaming behaviors.
Offshore sites and bookies, on the other hand, usually do not. In fact, they often prey on losing bettors, encouraging them to chase losses and gambling amass debt.
Getting everything out in the open and stopping problems in their tracks is one of the benefits of regulating playing.